body>

7 May 2010

Passive Aggressive?

I have been doing readability tests on my blogs. It seems the prose within is, generally, more sophisticated than the Bible and more foggy than average.

Not a bad thing, in many ways, to make text knotty for the reader. It slows things down in an increasingly frantic world.

The illumination came when I realised that each blog is written in styles that run a gamut from Grade 3 through to about 10. This means that Modern Twist is accessible to the average eight year old whereas Short Sights at Noon would require the skills of further schooling, about Junior Certificate level, to be read with ease.

That a machine can tell me all this is one of the great wonders of our dazzling world. I love Big Brother and all his works...

3 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

You're doing well, if you've achieved Grade 10! That's some serious writing! Even the Grade 3 is a bit above the level of the newspapers, I believe.

5/07/2010 9:17 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

To be honest, I would prefer to appeal to the general reader and not get too complicated.

I learned to read very fast as a student and am aware of how really boring some writers can be.

This is a subject that deserves more attention.

5/19/2010 2:13 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Well, you know, I'm certainly not one to talk about making writing more simple, as I actually use punctuation such as - gasp - the semicolon. ;)

5/19/2010 3:28 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home