body>

30 April 2010

And what did YOU do during the...

boomtime, Grandma???


Davimack mentioned poverty. I know it may be delusional thinking, but this recession does not seem to be as bad as the last one which made me stop work. There are some luxuries a lady just cannot afford and I was too cowardly to continue to be a "busy fool" or a sitting duck. The economy in the late 'Eighties and early 'Nineties was compared by some experts as comparable to the horrors that led up to the Battle of Waterloo. "Vanity Fair", where everyone was in hock and beholden to those wealthier than themselves pretty much summed it up. The boom gave everybody a sense of security, which was built, it now seems, on much hot air.

But many people have gardens now, where we can grow flowers and vegetables and cut back on buying in the shops. I always liked the scene in "Gone With the Wind" where a snazzy gown was made from curtains. We don't have curtains, so that's a bit of a non-starter. However, my boomtime activities may be of use after all. I went to Greek class for six years, which seemed a frightful extravagance at the time. Now I can read about the FTSE and the DOW in Greek.


It makes a nice change from the scary news in English...

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Having been through it once, you've already lost faith in prosperity. It's easier to be poor the second time 'round.

5/01/2010 1:51 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

This is third time round as the 1950's in Ireland was what I call real poverty. For friends who lived through the 1930's what is called poverty in Europe today is not taken very seriously, I think.

5/01/2010 3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home