body>

8 December 2010

The sad account of fore-bemoanèd moan,

which I new pay as if not payed before...

The advantages of an education have never been so obvious.
I have been compelled to stay indoors due to a persistent cold and this has given time to focus and count my blessings.

Yesterday's budget is being analysed and there continues to be
"a lot of anger out there". The man who hoisted himself onto a cherry picker in front of government buildings early yesterday morning was arrested. It seems that many more protests are planned and Fintan O'Toole has a petition on his site where one may address leaders and air problems, personal or political.

The utter confusion, where young families do not have enough money to support themselves is being debated, notably by Fergus Finlay. I used teach in a school where girls came to school with no breakfast and fainted during class. This so alarmed me that it was a relief to change profession, as I had no say in such behaviour and could not work out the source of such problems.

Our water source was cut off for twelve hours during the night. I turned off the central heating as I wondered if the lack of water would put a strain on the system. There are many people who cannot afford heating and who go to bed cold. There is something sad and demoralising about such a society so I find that relying on personal resources is now essential. Our government keeps wittering on about "getting people back to work". Irish people have a high standard of education and do not welcome the prospect of performing mindless and mind numbing tasks in return for a minimum wage which is shrinking.

I don't see myself taking to the streets to protest... too dangerous. However it is worth saying that I shall continue to hone my computer and writing skills, just in case I should be forced out to compete in a jobs market that is cold, uncompromising and very uncomfortable indeed.

1922

3 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

It truly is cold and uncompromising out there. It's really not a nice world for those of us who aren't uber-wealthy.

12/08/2010 11:28 am  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

The old idea of "making one's own luck" is important these days.

Fortunately there's much more to life than money. I had to turn the debate about the budget off today as it is going nowhere.

In the past, women in Dublin set up biscuit factories in order to support their families. There are many skilled people who don't have time to join in the wailing.

Let's hope Christmas lifts spirits.

12/08/2010 1:01 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

I just hope that the bemoaning doesn't turn out to be as bad as predicted by Der Spiegel.

It seems silly, to keep on paying back "investors" when the country itself never agreed to make those payments. After all: the banks and financiers were the ones who took the gamble. To make the Irish people pay back that gambling debt seems ludicrous.

12/08/2010 1:13 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home