body>

4 April 2009

Only a Frenchman

... would come up with the idea of "le moi profond".

The influence that Bergson had on Proust inspired an analysis of time and personality that continues to fascinate every reader who comes under their sway.

Bloggers seem obsessed with time and with the influence it has on every encounter on the Net. Speed is everything these days and the wider, more fluid reality of all the posts that have been made in the past few years seems to drive us forward with an urgency that makes expressing a "moi profond" very difficult indeed.

I had reason to think about this in relation to the objection some posters have to those who bump old threads in chat rooms. I consider that posts I made last year have as much reality now as they did then. The machine and its ticking temporality seems to insist otherwise.

Internet historians are already in the making.

I wonder what they think...

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

You are not alone in this reflection on speed, time and the internet. There is a " slow blogging" movement, inspired by the slow food concept, and it is an interesting idea. Interestingly, it also attracts deept thinkers. My own slow blogging is due more to laziness and lack of time, though...

4/04/2009 5:28 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I certainly must look into that, Cathy.

Thank you for sharing this enjoyable insight.

4/04/2009 6:46 pm  
Blogger Granny J said...

Unfortunately, some of my best posts were my earliest, written after quite a few months of contemplating a blog. Now, I find I use more pictures and less words, partly because I have less to say and partly because I haven't had time for ideas to properly percolate.

4/05/2009 7:29 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home