body>

25 March 2009

There Is So Much in Singapore to Photograph

...that I'm still spinning from all the new experiences, sights and sounds.

On our sixth visit to this incredible island state, I found myself explaining happily that
"we always break our journey to Australia by spending at least two nights here".

This time I dragged my husband to "Beauty World", a large, multi-storeyed shopping mall near Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. It was far from the mall near the Botanic Gardens, which seems so Westernised and not unlike what I am used to at home.

There is a great photo processing shop there and I emerged with five rolls of film scanned to CD, of which more later. An effort to capture the colours and designs in Beauty World took quite some time and this photo was taken with a Nikon digital camera, for a change.

At the Bonsai Garden Shop in Singapore's Beauty World

4 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Ahh, film, the faithful recorder of what actually was, as opposed to what some computerized device "thought" was there.

3/25/2009 6:43 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

There seems to be a return to film, if some of the threads on Boards.ie are to be believed.

I have to admit I like the photo here, taken with a Nikon D40 digital and a very nice zoom lens.

However, film somehow captured the vastness of Tasmania a bit better.

3/31/2009 3:04 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Hmm... well, if you're interchanging the lenses, there's a very good reason: a digital camera adds a 1.6 multiplier to the focal length of the lens. So, a 50mm film lens becomes an 80mm digital lens. That's quite a difference in the width of your angle.

3/31/2009 9:06 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Thanks for reminding me about "crop factor". I've had my eye on a Canon 50mm prime lens for a while, but the fact that it will become an 80mm on my Digital Rebel has made me think further about what exactly I am trying to do.

4/01/2009 1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home