body>

25 March 2009

Once the Rows Start

... I know that I am well and truly home.

Having spent time in Victoria, where bush fires had caused the governnment to declare a state of national emergency, the fussing that goes on in Ireland is an increasing source of mystery and, I have to admit, high hilarity.

Everywhere I go I find people on the verge of revolution.
I was much cheered by the lively sales assistant who encouraged me to complain to the government about a new plastic bag tax. Up to last week or so, only large, offensive looking bags that might cause environmental melt down were subject to payment at the check-out. Now the tiny, flimsy bags that used be available for free cost 22 cents. This meant I was happy to carry my meat in the original (presumably free?) bag, confident that by keeping it away from the rest of the groceries I was still behaving in a hygenic and modern way.

Such problems are definitely the very stuff of civil unrest...

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

"Taxation with representation isn't such a wonderful thing, either."

Don't know who said it, nor if it's entirely correct, but the sentiment is there.

3/26/2009 1:30 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Here you are...

See the Quote by
Gerald Barzan

3/26/2009 7:52 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home