body>

21 October 2008

Making the Best of What We've Got

Oh, I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside...


There's a lot to be said for living near the sea.
For five years, at one stage in my life,
I lived in the centre of Ireland.
Much time was spent looking at a map of the country
working out where the nearest beaches were and dreaming
of a time when I could be closer to a mild coastal climate.
There is something brisk and invigorating about the frosts
that grip the Irish Midlands in Winter.
However, it was not for me.

Dubliners spend a lot of time looking out to sea,
without even being aware of it.
Driving around the city and in the outskirts,
sudden, dramatic glimpses of Dublin Bay still
make me gasp with surprise.

I could not live in a more amazing place...

3 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Oh, to live by the sea again! We used to just sit, looking out our back porch, at the San Francisco Bay. Not quite the sea, but certainly a step up from looking, occasionally, at the River Clyde.

10/26/2008 12:27 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I never thought much about this for years, as I can see Dublin Bay whenever I wish.

However, holidays far inland in France became strange and fascinating in the way I needed to find large expanses of water to admire and somehow they never seemed to fit the bill.

I imagine you travel as often as possible to the coast, if you are used to sea views.

The River Clyde may have its good moments, I expect?

10/26/2008 7:56 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Oh, it would, if we were close enough to it. But, alas, we're farther into the city, so don't get to visit it much. It's OK, though - the wind comes racing up the Clyde, so we'd freeze to death if we were close by!

10/28/2008 10:25 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home