body>

11 September 2008

"There are more things in heaven and earth,

Horatio,
than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Many thanks to Davimack, who has started my mental motors up again,
in preparation for another term of blogging.

The Summer had many peculiar moments, unplanned and unexpected and
it's good to be back in a dryer season, uploading photos and cooking
simple meals.

Gardeners are philosophical by nature.
Pollination may or may not happen.
Water may or may not fall from the sky.
Thinking about it merely passes the time between showers
which, very importantly,
affect the behaviour of pollinating insects.

However, thanks to a kind e-mail from Davimack,
I'm now adding the
Internalism/Externalism debate to conversations in the car
while stuck in traffic.
I wondered if if might be Platonism/Aristotelianism in a new guise.
But that does not seem to be the case.
I studied ethics while travelling back and forth to class
during the oil crisis in 1973 and have had a strong
dislike of Plato ever since.
Somehow he got lodged in my experience alongside long dreary
evenings hitching through
cold, wet landscapes and being
rescued by cattle truck drivers on the way to the mart.
Thus are true Aristotelians born.

If you are interested in seeing what Internalists and
Externalists think,look up the terms on the Net.

Prepare to be amazed.

4 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

It is, indeed, quite an interesting topic. I'm glad to be moving on to my next topic, but also a bit sad to leave it behind. I wish you luck in resolving it!

9/12/2008 5:49 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

In philosophy there are no resolutions, it seems.

I studied in a seminary (quite by chance) and was surrounded by philosophers and theologians for several years.

Mostly I made apple jelly from the college orchard, which was probably unethical as many parts of the college were out of bounds to women.

What is your next topic?

9/13/2008 11:41 am  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Perhaps it was unethical to bar women from parts of the campus. ;)

I'll be studying what goes into decisions to delete or retain information. So, it has a philosophical component, an ethical component, a legal component, an organizational component, an I.T. component, etc.

I'm interested in the fact that we seem to keep data only when it's of poor quality (as in, buying a new disk rather than cleaning things up), and to erase data only when it's of high quality (as in, erasing emails as a matter of policy). So we end up with the wrong decision being made consistently, and for a variety of reasons. I'd like to figure out how to change that.

It should keep me busy for a few years. ;)

9/13/2008 2:05 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I'll be very interested in this.

I worked in the editorial end of the property market during the last Boom/Bust furore at the end of the 1980's. It was likened at the time to the economic situation leading up to the Battle of Wellington.

The whole question of what any society values and depreciates is very important.

9/19/2008 10:47 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home