body>

11 November 2007

Shaken But Still Standing

I'll certainly try to forget Armistice Day 2007 as quickly as possible.

It's not often you go to an afternoon concert and return so stressed that
debriefing and several efforts at "counting one's blessings" are called for.



Hoping for a break from the mundane we went to a wonderful concert of
Polish music today.

Grace under fire was experienced by performer and audience alike, as during
a particularly quiet movement in Paderewski's fine concerto, a tannoy announcement
was delivered in a tone that could waken the dead and in two official languages.

A large dinner, plenty of water (rehydration is essential in such cases) and
a severe self-admonishment to not take the arts so seriously have also helped.
The fact that the charity involved is for children who are having difficulties
was probably the most important consideration, as well as thinking of those who
live in war torn lands.

At least now I know what I would like as a Christmas gift.

Peace and Quiet.

I expect that the children and those under real fire
are hoping for the same.


(I've just been corrected. The trauma is much
worse than I had first thought.
It was a sonata, not a concerto, that was
being played.)

1 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

what's a "tannoy" announcement? I mean, ok, I googled the word, and came up with that it's a speaker system ... but I think you meant it differently than I'd have heard it used - you used it as an adjective, in other words, and I'm unclear, being a 'yank.'

11/12/2007 7:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home