body>

16 October 2007

Ars Domestica

The educational system that directs my thought processes
no longer exists. The classical formation considered
essential to survival in the past is now a vague memory.

Five years of intensive Latin tuition remains a bit of a puzzle
to this day, though it does make botany much easier to study.
Livy, up to this precise moment, was of absolutely no use for the
life that lay ahead, though I suppose I should not be prejudiced
and give him another try.

Why I should suddenly start wondering about the gender
of the noun "ars" is one of life's mysteries.

Hope I got the
adjective right.

3 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Hmm....

Doing a degree in philosophy now ... and wishing I'd had that Latin. :)

10/16/2007 7:57 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

It can be useful. However the academic world can lure you in to writing for years in so many forms that seems archaic. I was glad to leave many writers behind when I graduated from college, as discussing them involved hefty slices of turgid writing which was often poorly translated from Latin or Greek.

Here's wishing you luck with the philosophy class. Since you like Derrida you will have some very interesting discussions. He was a "strange fish" when it comes to ideas about ethics.

10/18/2007 7:03 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Ahh, well - I'm unlikely to get to study Derrida here, as they're very much on the Analytic side of the Analytic / Continental divide. But I'm certain that there're others just as strange. :)

10/19/2007 9:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home