body>

15 February 2012

February At Last

Having decided to part company with society as interpreted by the official media, the world seems a much happier and more plausible place.
The centre of Athens burning the other night was probably to be expected, as traditions of destructive behaviour are embedded in European life. The French ability to go on strike every time a little contretemps flutters is entertaining, from a safe distance, of course.

Official moaning continues, while real life goes on with the usual ups and downs. We have been spared the grotesque snow that made life so unpleasant here for two Winters running and it is pleasant not to be obliged to travel to a warmer place. We even managed some walks out of doors, despite the fact that staying indoors is more attractive.

At last, a good film camera has helped me to improve skills. Even though digital images are cheap and quick to produce, it is unlikely that the new technologies will achieve the detail and subtlety that film gives for some time to come.

I continue to read about contemporary fiction, without finding much to cheer the spirit there. One book bought as a gift for a friend turned out to be so grim and miserable that I could not give it to them.

It now turns out that I can judge which films will receive the most awards by how boring I find them. The only way I could escape the enervating experience of "The Artist" was to fall asleep in the cinema, as it was not possible to leave. Perhaps in time the arts will reconnect with the world that ordinary people inhabit.
However, I shan't be holding my breath...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

I'm not so sure that I want to inhabit the same world as the "ordinary people," if that involves sitting through miserable movies. :)

2/15/2012 2:55 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I am an ordinary person.

Perhaps that explains my incomprehension at much artistic activity these days?

2/15/2012 4:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home