body>

14 September 2008

Voyage Into the Unknown

Well, let's put it this way, having read about all the confusion
caused by missed bits in computer programming I'll be staying
with the more secure areas of photography for some time to come.
My ethical problems in relation to this new technology are almost
on the verge of being simple-minded.
Living in a small city, I tend to have great qualms about uploading
photos of people on the street, in case they may not like it.

These are paltry concerns when compared to the life and death
realities that many computer professionals face daily.

"Computer Ethics and Professional Responsibility"

presents the alarming proposition that cause and effect
are no longer predictable, once computers are involved.

Far from causing fear, this idea has opened up a vast
area of curiosity which should keep my Winter reading very
lively indeed.

But the prospect of writing code takes on a
link to social responsibility that may
prove a burden?

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Ahh, the problem is that they don't know that their code could be misused, because most programmers aren't taught to think like that. So, they go on collecting data, not understanding that their data will be used to fuel the concentration-camp fires (IBM punch-cards ran the whole thing; the numbers tattooed on forearms were punch-card numbers; they did the censuses, so the knew the bits of information needed by the Nazis). Read IBM And the Holocaust if you're up for some massive depression.

9/18/2008 12:02 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Thank you.

I'm afraid we have moved into "too much information territory" here.

I had three uncles, through marriage, who had survived the Second World War and I still think that many people are traumatised by it all.

I got a lift years ago from an intellectual travelling through Ireland who showed me the numbers tattooed on his wrist.

I bring the house down with laughter when I wonder vaguely why warlike people can't find some useful hobby...

9/19/2008 10:32 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home