body>

5 January 2012

Gulliver and Dublin

This is a surprisingly often viewed photo on Flickr. It is one of a series taken over several years of sand sculptures in Dublin.

Mostly they can be found in Summer in an interior couryard in Dublin Castle, but since I'm not a great fan of the medium used I haven't bothered to upload any more.

I don't much like Swift's writing either and while Sweet Auburn was a favourite literary reference point for adults when I was growing up, I found his writing coarse. Rabelais has the same effect and the recent dramatisation on Radio Four left me with nothing to listen to for a dull hour on a Sunday night.

The official media are a puzzle... as is why so many people bothered to look at this somewhat indiffent photo.

The artist in this case was excellent, but since the work was surrounded by protective metal girders I found it really difficult to photograph it well. Gulliver in the Land of Giants (An update... Oliver Goldsmith, not Swift wrote "The Deserted Village" and I've sorted the confusion out by posting on Widgetinghour. This post has reminded me, as if I needed reminding, that the pleasure of keeping a blog is that it involves uploading only material that one enjoys and not having to produce work that is paid for by others.)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

It's a rather good shot - no surprise people like it. :D

Didn't much care for Gulliver, either, particularly since it was supposed to be all about politics or something, and I just didn't see it (ruining my story-time with politics - bah!).

1/05/2012 3:41 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I find satire the most difficult genre to enjoy and the later books of "Gulliver's Travels" are quite ugly.

However, the world of the very little people has its fun moments, as the sculptor captured so well. Swift did not seems to like people much which makes him a difficult read for me.

1/05/2012 6:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home