body>

27 May 2011

Moderation in All Things...

Ever so often I put full moderation systems in place on this blog. This is not out of fear of finding something nasty plastered on the site but simply because it stops people posting in most cases and now and again I just don't have much time to chat.

Many other blogs seem to have a similar approach. I have just posted a comment that will (or may not) appear after it has been approved. Since I shan't have time to see whether is is acceptable or not, here it is again:

Preview Edit Tales from the Birch Wood. said...I think you would enjoy the French writer, Colette. She was very open about her own coldness (nowadays it's called "objectivity") and how writers have a shard of ice in their hearts. Also the Brontes loved badly written novels... they helped them to see what the pitfalls in style, character and plot are and so avoid them. Great blog. So much to learn here.

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Actually, with WordPress you have an extra option as compared with blogger: you can opt to only moderate comments for users who haven't posted a comment in the past, and/or you can opt even those when they submit a comment with more than X number of links (you choose X).

As to Colette's comment: we prefer to think of writers as similar to Terry Pratchett's Witches, who have "third thoughts" ... and who live on the edges of things, observing their own observations. It's less ... cold.

6/01/2011 7:53 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I'm afraid I was exposed to French "froideur" too early on in life to be too worried about it one way or the other. I must find the Colette piece I was thinking about as her sense of humour is also there.

However, I do like the Witches analogy.

Thank you for such a mindful post.

6/03/2011 7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home