body>

28 July 2010

Faction

... or how, the longer you live, the less you are surprised... In reply to the fore-going chat on Detectives Beyond Borders , I cobbled together some thoughts that place the early 1960's neatly where they belong... in the far distant past...

.... Excerpts are available in Google books, so I've read a few pages.

I have not really thought about the problems faced by a writer of "faction".

The question of libel is never far from writers' minds, and since John Lawton was a journalist he will know how to cover tracks, I suppose.

I was a great fan of Jean Plaidy's work at one time and thought she got to grips with her characters, large and small, with skill.

Keep in mind that Chrisine Keeler was a teenager in 1961 and would have spent much time with her women friends, as everybody does at that age.

The circles they moved in sound quite dangerous and solidarity would ensure survival.

What surprised me most was the age gap between the men and the women in the saga...



2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Libel would be especilly close to a British writer's mind, since British libel law places notorious burdens on the defendant, from what I understand, as opposed to U.S. law. As I recall, Lawton goes out of his way to play down similarities between A Little White Death and the Keeler-Profumo affair.
==========================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

7/28/2010 5:21 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I think, if I were to choose a profession now, it would be in publishing law, rather than in writing.

It is a very interesting minefield...

7/29/2010 12:21 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home