body>

26 April 2009

Bookworm?

As far as I can remember, I spent much of my childhood with my face stuck in a book.
The hey-days of book learning are long past and the new pedagogy seems to include much sport and visual education. The question even arises from time to time as to whether or not reading is dead.

Probably more a case of not dead but sleeping?

There will always be people who read.
And from what I have seen the easy access that Google Books offers to fabulous works that can no longer be found in libraries probably means that more people than ever are reading, but on the Internet.

It's worth thinking about.

And just in passing this


बूक्वोर्म?

is what came up in the title bar when I started to type "Bookworm" today.

Hindi is fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

The thing about reading on the internet is that it tends to follow a pattern wherein the eyes read the first paragraph or two, followed by a prolonged scan of the eyes down the left-hand side of the article. Thus, the actual reading taking place is the first paragraph, with everything else being a prolonged scan of the matter.

At least, that's what the studies have shown. For me, not so much, as I've read thousands of pages either online or in electronic form - and I've read it, as I'd read a book. But that's me.

4/26/2009 5:21 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I have a neat trick.
When a paragraph is very interesting I hit Prt Scr and post and save in Irfanview.

That way many of the numerous gems are never lost.

Hope reading, writing and study is going well for both of you and that the weather has warmed up.

4/28/2009 5:50 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home