body>

24 September 2008

Cognitive Surplus and How Institutions Change

A recent post about Web 2.0 brought a very helpful link form Davimack.

I have not read Clay Shirky's book "Here Comes Everybody"
but the title will ring a bell with Joycean scholars.
This exploration of the changes web usage has brought to society
and institutions has no links with the Anthony Burgess book,
but I expect that both Joyce and Burgess who had their "moments"
with society would have found it riviting.

Whereas twenty years ago I was happy to trot round Dublin
earning my keep, these days a session at the Internet coalface
seems to suffice when it comes to doing an honourable day's work.

I expect I'm not alone...

2 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

The question is, really, how you relate to the whole thing. Me, I find that I must spend several hours a day on the blogs, or I just get buried. And it's not as if there are any more that I'd prune out of my list, really. Sigh.

9/26/2008 5:56 pm  
Blogger Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

I'm a naturally indolent person, so I find that I'm gradually shedding a lot of the reading that took up much of last year.

I learned how to cut through information quickly over the years, because it can be so overwhelming.

The "work" I have set myself is to be able to produce a set number of photos each day and to answer questions from contacts on the web within a set amount of time.

The greatest temptation at the moment is to search Flick for good photos and new ideas.

In an ideal world, getting all this done in two hours would be very pleasant indeed.

Perhaps by next year...

9/26/2008 9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home